Using my ‘Basic Sweet Bread Dough’, ‘Cinnamon Rolls’ can be made as easily as cookies. The extra work you have to do is roll out the dough, spread the Cinnamon & Sugar mixture, then roll up. Once you have done it, you would know that it’s much easier than you think. Today I added Apple. They smell amazing!
16 Small Rolls
1/2 cup (125ml) Warm Milk
2 teaspoons Dry Yeast
1 & 3/4 cups Bread Flour *plus extra for kneading
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Seeds *removed from pods, ground
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg *lightly whisked, save 1 tablespoonful for glazing
20g Butter *melted
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar *OR Brown Sugar if you prefer
2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
20g Butter *melted
1/4 cup Sultanas OR Raisins *optional
- Warm Milk slightly, add Yeast and stir, then set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine Bread Flour, Sugar, ground Cardamom Seeds and Salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the Yeast mixture, Egg (save 1 tablespoonful for glazing) and melted Butter. Mix well to form a soft dough.
- Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, gradually adding extra Flour as required, until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Cut Apple into 5mm cubes, cook in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon Water until slightly softened. Set aside and cool.
- Place Sugar, Cinnamon and melted Butter in a small bowl and mix well. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 3-4mm thin. Spread Sugar & Cinnamon mixture, scatter Apple pieces and Sultanas evenly. Roll up and cut into 16 slices
- Place on a baking tray. Set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Gently brush with remaining Egg, then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned. *Note: You may wish to dust with Powdered Sugar or drizzle with Icing.