I nearly named this dessert ‘Banana Meringue Pie’ but it is not a pie. There is no pie pastry in this dessert. The bottom layer is actually Sweet Biscuits. It’s inspired by an American dessert that I tasted many years ago. Today I made Custard, but you can use store-bought Custard. In that case, this dessert would be super easy to make.
6 to 8 Servings *I used 22.5cm Pie Dish
1 to 2 Bananas *sliced 5mm thick
Sweet Biscuits *enough to cover the base of baking dish
3 Egg Yolks
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
2 cups (500ml) Milk
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Plain Flour *OR 2 tablespoons for softer Custard
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
*Note: You can add Lemon Juice to the Custard.
3 Egg Whites
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
- To make Custard, place all ingredients in a heat-proof bowl and whisk until combined well. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, mix well, then cook again for 1 to 2 minutes and mix well. And repeat until cooked. Whisk well until smooth.
- *Note: If Custard turned too thick, add extra Milk and whisk well. You can add Lemon Juice if you prefer. Alternatively Custard can be cooked in a saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cover the base of a baking dish with Sweet Biscuits. Break them if necessary.
- Spread 1/3 of Custard thinly, arrange Banana slices, cover with 1/3 of Custard, arrange Banana slices again, then cover with remaining 1/3 of Custard.
- *Note: You may prefer spread 1/2 Custard, arrange Banana slices, and cover with remaining 1/2 Custard.
- To make Meringue, beat Egg Whites, using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Gradually add Caster Sugar and Salt, beating well, until thick and glossy.
- Cover the Banana & Custard with Meringue, and bake for 10-15 minutes OR until top is nicely browned. When cool enough, place it in the fridge to chill for a few hours.
Leave a Reply