This is a pan-fried version of my ‘Kakiage’ Tempura that I love. I first just pan-fried it instead of deep-frying, and realised I needed more batter. So, I made it just like Okonomiyaki. This is much easier to prepare and clean up than deep-fried Tempura. You can make small pancakes OR 1 large pancake and cut it into smaller pieces.
1 Onion *thinly sliced
1 small Carrot *sliced into thin strips
100g Prawns *thawed if frozen, cut into small pieces
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 tablespoon Oil for cooking
6 tablespoons Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour
1 pinch Salt
3 to 4 tablespoons Water
- To make Batter, mix Flour, Salt, Egg and Water in a small bowl.
- Place thinly sliced Onion, Carrot and Prawn pieces in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with Flour and combine. Add the Batter and mix.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, pour the mixture to form pancake(s). You can make 1 large pancake, or several small ones. When the edge of the pancake has set, flip over, and cook until nicely browned and cooked though. You may turn over the pancake(s) a few times while cooking.
- Cut the pancake into small pieces if large, and serve with a dipping sauce. Today I served with ‘Tentsuyu’.
- *Other Dipping Sauce Suggestions:
• Soy Sauce, Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) & Sesame Oil
• Oyster Sauce, Soy Sauce & Sesame Oil
• Okonomiyaki Sauce
Leave a Reply