I have been loving ‘Pampushky’, Ukrainian Bread Rolls, since I discovered them. ‘Pampushky’ dough is made with Eggs and they have similar texture to Doughnuts. They can be savoury OR sweet. My ‘Easter Pampushky’ are absolutely delicious. Today I made savoury ones and topped with Cheese and Bacon. I knew they would taste great and I was right. I enjoyed these Cheese & Bacon ‘Pampushky’ with a hearty vegetable soup.
2 cups Bread Flour *plus extra
2 teaspoons (7g) Dry Yeast
2/3 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 Eggs *whisked, save 1 tablespoonful for blushing
1/2 cup Warm Milk
2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil *OR melted Butter
Oil OR Butter for greasing a tin *optional
1 tablespoon saved Egg
1/2 cup grated Tasty Cheese (Cheddar) OR Cheese of your choice
60g Bacon *cut into small pieces
- Combine Bread Flour, Yeast, Salt and Sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in Eggs (save 1 tablespoonful for brushing), Milk and Oil. Mix well and knead, adding extra Flour as required, for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Grease a large cake tin (I used 23cm deep pie dish) with Oil OR Butter. *Note: If you want to bake rolls on a baking tray, line the tray with baking paper.
- On a floured surface, shape the dough into a round, divide into 8 portions, roll each portion into a ball, then slightly flatten it, so that it would be easier to place Cheese and Bacon on top.
- Arrange the dough in the tin (OR baking tray), brush the top with the saved Egg, and place Cheese and Bacon. Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes OR until nicely browned. Enjoy freshly baked hot Pampushky.