I usually serve Chilli Con Carne with Rice. But today I tried to make it into Cottage Pie. Mashed Potato could go well with any flavour and I though this would be delicious, and I was right. I usually don’t add Cheese to my Cottage Pie, but today I added some shredded Tasty Cheese and it was a good decision. This is a different way to enjoy Chilli Con Carne on a cold winter day like today.
500g Lean Beef Mince *OR other minced meat
1 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 Capsicum *cut to small pieces
1 tablespoon Oil
1/2 teaspoon Hot Chilli Powder OR Cayenne Pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons Ground Paprika
1 to 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
1 to 2 teaspoons Ground Coriander Seeds
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 cup Beef Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 Beef Stock Cube
1 can (400g) Diced Tomatoes
1 can (410g) Kidney Beans
Mashed Potatoes Topping
800g Potatoes *peeled & chopped
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Milk
Shredded Tasty Cheese (Cheddar) *optional
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook Onion, Garlic and Capsicum for a few minutes, add Beef Mince and cook until Beef changes colour.
- Add all Spices and Flour and mix to combine. *Note: Flour is to thicken the sauce. You can add Tomato Paste instead of Flour.
- Add Beef Stock and Tomatoes, and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the canned Kidney beans and add to the pan. Stir to combine and season with Salt but the amount of Salt depends on the saltiness of the stock and beans. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally as it is easy to get burnt.
- Meanwhile, cook Potatoes in a saucepan of salted water until tender. Drain well. Return to the saucepan and add Butter. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add Milk and stir until well combined. Taste and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Spoon the Chilli Con Carne mixture into a large baking dish. Cover with the mashed potato and use a fork to spread over and make a pattern. Scatter some shredded Tasty Cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until top is nicely browned. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply