My ‘Potato & Canned Salmon Gratin’ is made with Japanese Mayonnaise instead of white sauce, and it is delicious. Today I made this ‘Doria’ that is almost identical to the dish, replacing Potato with Rice. I seasoned the Rice with Curry Powder, and the curry flavour matches with Salmon, Mayonnaise & Cheese topping. This is a super easy ‘Doria’ as I don’t have to cook White Sauce.
4 servings Cooked Rice *warmed
1 tablespoon (15g) Butter OR Oil *plus extra to grease the baking dish
1 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic*finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley *save some for topping
Salt & Pepper
2 teaspoons Curry Powder
1 can (210g) Salmon
Japanese Mayonnaise *OR White Sauce
1/2 to 1 cup shredded Tasty Cheese (Cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 220℃.
- Drain Canned Salmon, remove unwanted large bones and skin, and break into small pieces.
- Place Butter OR Oil in a large heat-proof bowl, add Onion and Garlic, cover with a plate, and heat in the microwave for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked. Season with Salt, Pepper and Curry Powder. *Note: You can do this process using a frying pan.
- Add chopped Parsley and Cooked Rice, heat for 2 minutes or until warmed, and mix to combine. Add extra Salt & Pepper if required.
- Lightly grease a baking dish, spread the rice evenly, scatter Salmon evenly, squeeze some Japanese Mayonnaise over, and cover with shredded Cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Sprinkle with the saved chopped Parsley and serve.