I have two very easy recipes for Vanilla Ice Cream. One is ‘Super Easy Vanilla Ice Cream’ and the other one is ‘Easiest Vanilla Ice Cream’. Well, the last one is not the easiest any longer, because this Custard Powder Ice Cream is even easier. First, you need to make a thick Custard using Custard Powder. Cool it completely, then mix with whipped Cream. The texture is not super smooth, but it is yummy.
1 cup Milk *250ml
3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Custard Powder *1 tablespoon is 15ml
*Note: Use your Custard Powder according to the instruction on the package. Make the Custard slightly thicker than normal.
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Thickened Cream
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- Place Custard Powder and Caster Sugar in a saucepan, add 2-3 tablespoons Milk and mix well until smooth paste, then gradually add remaining Milk and Vanilla, and mix well. *Note: Heating the remaining Milk in the microwave before you add it to the saucepan would help the cooking process.
- Heat over low heat, stirring continuously, and bring to the boil. Once it is boiling, keep boiling for 1 minute, stirring continuously, then transfer to a bowl.
- Cover the Custard with plastic food wrap directly touching the Custard, and cool completely. I recommend to chill in the fridge.
- Beat Cream and Caster Sugar until soft peaks form. Whisk the jelly-like Custard to soften, then gradually add the whipped Cream, and mix well until combined evenly.
- Pour the mixture into a container and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until ready.
- *Note: The real ice cream becomes hard when completely frozen. To soften it, transfer the ice cream from the freezer to the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving. Or let it stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.