I have a great recipe of ‘Cheesy Potato Bake’ that I have been cooking for decades, but it takes more than 1 hour to cook. When I want to serve ‘Cheesy Potato Bake’ for dinner but don’t have enough time, this is what I cook. White Sauce can be made in the microwave very quickly. This ‘Cheesy Potato Bake’ can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. If you use steamed (OR boiled) Vegetables instead of Potatoes, you can make Cheesy Vegetable Bake.
2 large Potatoes *peeled, sliced 4-5mm thick
Salt & Pepper
Butter OR Oil to grease the baking dish
2 to 3 handfuls shredded Tasty Cheese (Cheddar)
Finely chopped Parsley *optional
10g (1 tablespoon) Plain Flour
1/2 cup Milk
Salt & White pepper
- Peel Potatoes, cut into 4-5cm thick slices, and cook in salted water until just soft.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a baking dish with a small amount of Butter OR Oil.
- To make White Sauce, place Butter and Flour in a heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until Butter melts. Mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- Add cold Milk (but DO NOT try to whisk), and heat in the microwave for 1 minutes. (This process is to warm the Milk.) Whisk well until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Heat in the microwave and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiled and thickened, take it out and whisk well until smooth. Season with Salt and White Pepper. *Note: I used 1100W power Microwave. Alter the heating time accordingly.
- Drain cooked Potato slices, place in the prepared baking dish evenly, cover with White Sauce and Cheese, and bake for 15 minutes OR until top is nicely browned.
- Sprinkle with some finely chopped Parsley and serve.
- *Note: Replace Potato with steamed Vegetable and cover with White Sauce and Cheese, and bake. The photo below is what I cooked with leftover steamed Vegetables. They transformed into such a delicious dish.
Leave a Reply