As my ‘Gochujang Chicken’ has been very popular among my family and friends, I made it into a rice bowl dish today. This is the recipe for 1 serving. It would be easy to multiply for larger number of servings. You need to add some vegetables. Sautéed leafy vegetable would be perfect, but it can be a simple salad. For the photo above, I used Iceberg Lettuce seasoned with just Salt and Sesame Oil, and it was really good.
160 to 180g Chicken Fillet *I used 2 Chicken Tenderloins
Salt & White Pepper
1 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Oil *I used Sesame Oil
1 serving warm Cooked Rice
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Finely chopped Spring Onion
Lettuce to serve *read ‘Method 2’
*Note: Sautéed leafy vegetable can be added instead of Lettuce.
1 clove Garlic *grated
1/2 teaspoon Sugar *alter the amount to suit your taste
1/2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Gochujang (Korean Spicy Miso)
1/2 tablespoon Ketchup
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine) OR Water
- Combine the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Alter the amount of Sugar and Gochujang (Korean Spicy Miso) to suit your taste.
- Prepare Lettuce. I used 1 leaf of Iceberg Lettuce. Tear into bite-size pieces, add 1 pinch Salt and a few drops Sesame Oil, then mix to combine. *Note: Sautéed leafy vegetable can be added instead of Lettuce.
- Cut Chicken into bite-size pieces, season with Salt and White Pepper, and coat with Potato Starch (OR Corn Starch).
- Heat Oil in a small frying pan over medium low heat, cook Chicken until cooked through. Remove from Heat. Add the Sauce and mix to combine.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice, cover it with Lettuce, arrange Chicken on top and pour all the sauce over the Chicken. Sprinkle with some finely chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds, and enjoy.