I have been trying to make a recipe for ‘No-Egg Tiramisu’ on my daughter’s request. My first challenge was making No-Egg Sponge. After several attempts, I was happy with the result of No-Egg Sponge. Next challenge was the Filling. I made the first No-Egg Tiramisu with the Filling made with just Mascarpone and Cream, as many people do so. However, I was totally UNHAPPY with the result because the Filling was too heavy and not enjoyable. My solution was adding No-Egg Custard to the Filling. Store-bought Vanilla Custard is most likely Egg-free, but I made No-Egg Custard using Custard Powder which is basically flavoured Corn Starch with natural yellow colouring. The result was really good. It looks like real Tiramisu, tastes good, quite light, and it’s Egg-Free. *Note: You might be interested in my family’s ‘Super Easy Tiramisu’ that is made with Eggs.
4 to 6 Servings
*Note: I used 1.5L Capacity Glass Dish
No-Egg Sponge OR your favourite No-Egg Cake *See Method 1′
1 cup Espresso or Strong Coffee
2 tablespoons Sugar *optional, but recommended if you use my No-Egg Sponge
2 tablespoons Marsala Wine *OR your favourite liquor such as Rum or Brandy
2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon Ground Coffee
1/2 cup (125ml) Thickened Cream
1/2 cup No-Egg Vanilla Custard *See ‘Method 2’
1/2 cup (125g) Mascarpone
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
*Note: Alter the amount of each ingredients to suit your taste. You may wish to add more Mascarpone OR more whipped Cream.
- No-Egg Sponge Fingers: If you use a round dish to make Tiramisu, it would be easier to make No-Egg Sponge Cake using a similar size round cake tin, then slice the cake as required. It doesn’t have to be a perfect round. If you prefer Sponge Fingers, you can make Sponge Fingers using the same batter.
- No-Egg Vanilla Custard: Store-bought Vanilla Custard is most likely Egg-free. I make Vanilla Custard using Custard Powder which is basically flavoured Corn Starch with natural yellow colouring.
- Vanilla Custard using Custard Powder: Cook it according to the instruction on the package, however I recommend to use slightly less amount of Milk to make the Custard thicker. *Note: Cool completely, directly covering the surface with plastic wrap. It thickens when cooled.
- Coffee: Make 1 cup of Espresso or Strong Coffee. It can be 1 cup Hot Water mixed with 2 tablespoons Instant Coffee. Add Marsala and mix. I recommend to add 2 tablespoons Sugar if you use my No-Egg Sponge as it is not very sweet.
- To make the filling, whip Cream firmly. Add completely cooled Vanilla Custard, Mascarpone and Caster Sugar, and mix well until combined well.
- Now you can assemble ‘Tiramisu’.
- Lay one slice of No-Egg Sponge Cake in a dish and sprinkle plenty of Coffee over the cake. If you use Sponge Fingers, dip Sponge Fingers into the cooled Coffee and line them in one layer in a dish. Spoon half of the filling over the Sponge and smooth the surface.
- Repeat for the second layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 to 4 hours OR preferably overnight.
- Before you serve, dust the top generously with Cocoa Powder mixed with Ground Coffee.