If your rice cooker has ‘Cake’ setting, it cooks not only cakes but also crust-less Quiche and Frittata. My ‘Rice Cooker Zucchini Frittata’ is super easy. Today I made ‘Spinach and Ham Frittata’ using a 120g bag of Baby Spinach. I LOVE Baby Spinach because it is easy to use. If you use ordinary Spinach, you need to wash them well and cook in your favourite method. As Baby Spinach can be cooked really quickly, I just heat it in the microwave until wilted. Everything is easy to prepare, and my rice cooker cooks it for me. All I have to do is to press ‘Start’ button. How fantastic the rice cooker is!
120g Baby Spinach *OR add as much as you want
1/2 to 1 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
150g Ham *cut into small pieces OR use shredded Ham
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
3/4 teaspoon Salt *reduce depending on the saltiness of Ham and Cheese
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 cup shredded Tasty Cheese *Cheddar Cheese
- Line the base of rice cooker’s inner pot with baking paper. *Note: It might be unnecessary depending on the condition of your inner pot.
- Prepare Spinach first. Place Baby Spinach in a large heat-proof bowl, heat in the microwave until wilted. It took me 1 & 1/2 minutes. *Note: You can cook Spinach in your favourite way. DO NOT over cook it.
- Melt Butter in a frying pan over medium heat and cook Onion and Garlic until soft. But this can be done in the microwave, too. Just heat Butter, Onion and Garlic until soft.
- Place Eggs, Self-Raising Flour, Salt & Pepper in a mixing bowl, and mix well. Add shredded Cheese, sautéed Onion and Ham, and mix well. Squeeze the wilted Spinach to remove excess water, then add to the mixture, and roughly combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared rice cooker’s inner pot, spread evenly, and start cooking at ‘Cake’ setting.
- If it is not cooked yet, leave it in the hot rice cooker for 10 more minutes or heat extra time. Turn out on a plate, and carefully peel away baking paper. Serve hot or cold.
- *Note: I used my 10 cup capacity rice cooker which inner pot is 20cm in diameter. It took 40 minutes to cook. I think I could take it out sooner.
- Oven Baking: Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish, and bake in the oven at 200℃ for 30-40 minutes or until cooked.
Leave a Reply