Green Beans are probably my favourite vegetable. The very best Top 3 Green Beans Dishes are Goma-ae Beans, Anchovy Garlic Sautéed Beans and this Tempura Beans.
It is well known that the Japanese ‘Tempura’ cooking originated with Portuguese. Fried Green Beans, known in Portugal as ‘Peixinhos da Horta’, were introduced by the Portuguese traveled to Japan some centuries ago.
It is so easy to cook with some very simple ingredients, yet these crunchy beans are absolutely delicious. I love them!!!
Green Beans 300 to 400g *OR whatever amount you want to cook!!!
Plain Flour 2 tablespoons
Oil for frying
Salt & Pepper *optional
‘Tentsuyu’ Dipping Sauce *optional
Tempura Batter Ingredients
1 Egg + Cold Water 1 cup
Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour (+ 2 tablespoons Potato Starch) 1 cup
Salt 1 teaspoon
Extra Cold Water 1/4 cup *as thinner batter is more suitable for this dish
- Wash Green Beans, cut long ones in half if you like.
- Make Tempura Batter. It is important to use COLD water for lighter texture. Low temperature slows down the gluten development.
- Equal volume of ‘Egg + Cold Water’ and ‘Flour’ will be mixed together very lightly. DO NOT over mix. Then add extra Cold Water up to 1/4 cup to make the batter thinner.
- Heat Oil to about 180°C. The right temperature can be tested by dropping a little bit of batter into the oil. If the batter sinks a little into the oil, then comes back the surface, the temperature is right for frying.
- Sprinkle some Flour over the Beans to coat. Dip into Tempura Batter and carefully place them into the Oil. Do not fry too many at once.
- Cook for a minute or two, turning over, then take out and lay them on a rack to drain the Oil. DO NOT over cook. Beans should be still crunchy.
- Serve with Salt & Pepper or ‘Tentsuyu’ dipping sauce.
Leave a Reply