Pork Speck is a type of cured, lightly smoked ham. It can create delicious soups. I am using it for many dishes, and this is a very simple one that I often cook with canned Beans. Today I used Cannellini Beans. The other day I used Boiled Soy Beans and it was really good. Please see a photo below. It is super easy to cook and tastes great. Much better than canned Baked Beans!
250g Pork Speck *cut into bite-size pieces
1 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 Carrot *cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon Oil
1 can (400g) Tomatoes
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 Chicken Stock Cube
1 Bay Leaf
2 to 3 teaspoons Italian Herb Mix OR other Herbs of your choice
*Note: You can add your favourite Spices instead.
1 can (400g) Beans *Cannellini Beans, Chickpeas, Soy Beans, Kidney Beans, etc.
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Ground Chilli OR Chilli Flakes as required *optional
Finely Chopped Parsley
- Heat Oil in a pot, cook Onion, Garlic and Carrot for a few minutes.
- Add Pork Speck, Tomatoes and Chicken Stock, and bring to the boil. Add Bay Leaf, Herbs, Chilli (if you add it).
- Add drained Beans, cover with a lid, and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook until the sauce thickens. Season with Salt and Black Pepper.
- Add some extra Black Pepper and finely chopped Parsley, and enjoy.
- *Note: The photo below is the same dish cooked with 2 cups Boiled Soy Beans.