I love ‘Rugelach’, a Jewish pastry. ‘Rugelach’ pastry is slightly sour because dough contains Cream Cheese (OR Sour Cream). The filling can be anything I like, so I used my favourite Sweetened Chestnut Cream this time, wondering if Chestnut flavour goes well with Cream Cheese flavoured pastry. Of course it does!!!
60g Cream Cheese *softened
60g Butter *softened
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Plain Flour
1/3 to 1/2 cup Sweetened Chestnut Cream
*Note: You may wish to add finely chopped cooked Chestnuts to the cream.
- Combine softened Butter and softened Cream Cheese in a bowl, add Caster Sugar and mix well until creamy. Add Egg Yolk and Vanilla, and mix well.
- Add Plain Flour and mix as you cut the butter mixture into flour. Use your hands to bring the mixture together into dough. *Note: If the mixture is too soft, add 1-2 tablespoons extra flour.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- On a lightly floured flat surface, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to a large 3mm thick disc larger than 30cm in diameter. Spread the filling evenly. *See the method on ‘Rugelach’ page.
- Cut the disc into 16 wedges and roll up each wedge from the outside edge.
- Place on the prepared baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.