‘Mentsuyu’ is a noodle dipping sauce, however it is so versatile. It can be used as a seasoning sauce for salad and stir-fry and so many dishes. It is very handy to have a bottle of ‘Mentsuyu’ in the fridge.
Here are two methods to make ‘Mantsuyu’. The popular method uses ‘Katsuobushi’, the Bonito flakes. ‘Bonito’ is a name for a type of tuna fish. Its fillets are boiled, dried, smoked, then fermented using the assistance of mould. It makes really good sauce. But you can make ‘Mentsuyu’ quickly and easily using the Instant Dashi Powder. Don’t underestimate this instant recipe, because it tastes really good, too!
1/2 cup Mirin
2/3 cup Soy Sauce
10-15g or a handful of ‘Katsuobushi’
2 cups Water
1. Heat Mirin in a saucepan to boil off alcohol. Then add Soy Sauce and bring it to the boil.
2. Add ‘Katsuobushi’ and cook about for a minute.
3. Add Water and bring to the boil again, then remove from heat.
4. Drain the sauce well. Allow it cool, then chill in the fridge.
Quick & Easy Method
2 cups Water
1 & 1/3 teaspoon Instant Dashi Powder *’Katsuobushi’ type recommended
1/3 cup Mirin
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Keep boiling for a few minutes.
2. Allow it cool, then chill in the fridge.