‘Mentsuyu’ is a noodle dipping sauce, however it is so versatile. It can be used as a seasoning sauce for salad and stir-fry and many other dishes. It is very handy to keep a bottle of ‘Mentsuyu’ in the fridge.
Here are two methods to make ‘Mentsuyu’. The popular method uses ‘Katsuobushi’, the Bonito flakes. ‘Bonito’ is a name for a type of tuna fish. Its fillets are boiled, dried, smoked, then fermented using the assistance of mould. It makes really good sauce. But you can make ‘Mentsuyu’ quickly and easily using the Instant Dashi Powder. Don’t underestimate this instant recipe, because it tastes really good, too!
1. Popular Method
1/2 cup Mirin
2/3 cup Soy Sauce
5-10g OR a handful of ‘Katsuobushi’
2 cups Water
1. Heat Mirin in a saucepan and boil for a few minutes. Then add Soy Sauce and bring back to the boil.
2. Add ‘Katsuobushi’ and cook about for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add Water and bring back to the boil again, then remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes.
4. Drain the sauce. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge.
2. Quick & Easy Method
2 cups Water
1 & 1/3 teaspoon Instant Dashi Powder *’Katsuobushi’ type recommended
1/3 cup Mirin
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Keep boiling for a few minutes.
2. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge.