I love Crumpets. The rubbery texture of Crumpets is so lovely. I have recently discovered that Crumpets are easy to make. If you want to make perfectly round Crumpets, you need Crumpet Rings. If you don’t mind if your Crumpets are not perfectly round, it is quite easy to make. You just cook them like pancakes.
1 cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
1 teaspoon Dry Yeast
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 cup Warm Water *OR replace 1/2 cup with Warm Milk
Oil for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Add Warm Water (OR Warm Water & Warm Milk), and whisk well.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes or until bubbly on surface.
- Heat a large frying pan, heavy-based preferred, over a medium heat. Oil the pan very lightly. If you use Crumpet Rings (OR Egg Rings), oil inside the rings and place them on the pan.
- When the pan and rings are hot, pour 1/4 cupful of batter, which is supposed to be very gooey, into each ring, OR form 10cm round pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear, then lower the heat and cook until almost cooked though and the surface looks dry. Carefully remove the rings using tongs.
- Turn over the pancakes and cook for 20 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
- Raise the heat to medium. When the pan and rings are hot, repeat with remaining batter.
- Compare the ring-shaped Crumpets and free-formed Crumpets below.