‘Cassata’ is a traditional Sicilian layered cake made with Ricotta and Candied Fruit. However, for many Australians, ‘Cassata’ is an Ice Cream Cake containing candied or dried fruit and nuts. This is my Cheat Cassata that is made with store-bought Vanilla Ice Cream. You can sandwich it with two slices of Sponge Cake. Today I simply froze and served it in the ice cream cones. *Note: This Ice Cream is alcoholic and only for grown-ups.
1 litre Good Quality Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 cup Rum steeped Raisins OR Sultanas
*OR Soak Raisins OR Sultanas in 2-3 tablespoons Rum
1/2 cup Candied Pineapple
1/2 cup Unsalted Pistachio Nuts *OR Almonds
Zest of 1 Lemon *grated, IMPORTANT
1/2 cup Shaved Dark Chocolate
- If you don’t have already steeped Raisins (OR Sultanas), place Raisins in a small heat-proof bowl, soak in Boiling Water for 10 minutes, then drain very well. Pour 2-3 tablespoons Rum over, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Chop up Candied Pineapple finely. If you use Almonds, chop them up as well. Shave Dark Chocolate.
- Place Ice Cream in a large bowl, break it up, and allow to soften. When it is soft enough, stir with a large spoon or spatula, add other ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Transfer to a container and freeze until firm. It’s a good idea to serve it in ice cream cones. *Note: This Ice Cream is alcoholic and only for grown-ups.
- *Note: Alternatively, you can freeze it in a loaf tin lined with plastic wrap to make it into an Ice Cream Cake, OR sandwich it with two slices of Sponge Cake.