If you like ‘Nametake’ Enoki, you will love this dish. This dish is cooked in the same flavoured sauce and the melting Eggplant is accompanied. It’s so good with freshly cooked rice. Chilli Flakes is optional, but I always add a little bit for a slight heat.
2 medium Eggplant *about 500g
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1/2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1/2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *grated
3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
3 tablespoons Mirin
1/2 tablespoon Sugar
Chilli Flakes *optional
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut off the green bit of Eggplants and cut in half or quarters lengthways, then make many shallow cuts on the skin. Then cut into chunky 4 to 5cm pieces.
- Cut off the brown bottom of Enoki and clean them. Cut into 3 to 4cm length pieces.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, place Eggplant pieces on the skin side down, cover with a lid, and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn them over, cover with the lid, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Scatter Enoki over the Eggplant, pour the sauce, cover with the lid and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, stir to mix, sprinkle with Rice Vinegar, and mix to combine.
- Transfer to a serving deep plate, scatter with finely chopped Spring Onion, and serve with freshly cooked rice.