Kanten is a gelling agent which is very low in calories and it won’t melt when warm. It is made from seaweeds and similar to Agar Agar. Kanten is very useful if you want to make a jelly using Pineapple and Kiwi Fruit or Mango, as these fruits break down the protein found in gelatine, preventing the jelly from setting. This doesn’t happen to Kanten jelly because Kanten is mostly fibre not protein.
This ‘Creamy Milk Kanten Jelly’ is more creamy version than my ‘Milk Fruit Kanten’ as I use only Milk and cream, no water. Cream can be replaced by Greek Yoghurt. Add plenty of fruit of your choice.
4 to 6 Servings
1 sachet (4g) Kanten Powder OR 4g (1 & 1/4 teaspoons) Agar Agar Powder
*OR 1 sachet (8g) Queen’s ‘Jel-It-In Vegetarian Gelling Powder
1 & 1/2 cups Milk *2 cups if NOT moulded out
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Cream *can be replaced with yoghurt
Fruit (ex. Strawberries, Peach, Pineapple, Kiwi Fruit, Mango, Orange Segments, etc.)
- Arrange fruit pieces in a plastic container.
- Place Milk and Kanten Powder (OR Agar Agar Powder) in a saucepan and bring it to the boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, lower the heat and keep boiling for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add Sugar, and mix well. Add Cream and quickly mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the fruit. Place in the fridge until set completely.
- Turn the jelly onto a plate. Serve with Condensed Milk as sauce.
Leave a Reply