My husband is currently trying to lose weight with a medical reason and his doctor recommended to try Nestlé’s ‘OPTIFAST’ products (shakes, soups, etc.) to reduce calorie intake by replacing meals with the products. I was curious about what they taste like and I tried vanilla flavoured shake today. It tasted much better than I expected, but I couldn’t drink it. As I didn’t want to waste it, I added Gelatine and made it into jelly. The calorie of 1 teaspoon of Gelatine Powder is negligible and Gelatine is basically protein. The chilled jelly was actually delicious and I enjoyed eating it. This idea might help some people who struggle to drink weight management shakes because of their taste.
1 to 2 Servings *makes 250ml Jelly
1 teaspoon Gelatine Powder
1 tablespoon Water
1 sachet (53g) ‘Optifast’ Shake *I used Vanilla Flavour Shake
- Sprinkle Gelatine Powder into 1 tablespoon Water in a small bowl and soak while you are making shake.
- Add 200ml Water in a 500ml measuring jug OR mixing bowl, add Shake powder, and mix well using a small whisk. *Note: Add 1 teaspoon Instant Coffee Granules to Vanilla Flavour Shake for yummy Coffee flavoured jelly.
- Melt Gelatine mixture in the microwave. It took 15 seconds using my 1000W microwave. You can do this process over hot water.
- Add the melted Gelatine mixture to the Shake and whisk until blended well.
- Pour the mixture into 1 OR 2 serving glasses and leave in the fridge for a few hours OR until set.
Leave a Reply