How do you use up the leftover egg white? Do you make Angel Food Cake, Macarons or Meringue? There are some recipes on this website such as Almond Bread, Pavlova and ‘Langues de Chat’ Biscuits.
I want to introduce a new savoury dish for using up the leftover egg white. It’s this ‘Okonomiyaki’. Simply you replace Flour, Egg and Water with whipped Egg White(s). It is gluten-free and lower in calorie content. I used Cabbage, Onion and Ham this time, but as you know, the ingredients can be anything at all as it’s ‘Okonomiyaki’.
*Add as much as you like if you can combine with the egg whites
Cabbage *thinly sliced
Onion *optional, thinly sliced
Ham *optional, cut or sliced into small pieces
Salt 1 pinch
Dashi Power 1 pinch
Oil for frying
Spring Onion *optional
- Using an electric mixer, whisk Egg Whites in a clean & dry bowl until firm peaks form.
- Add Cabbage, Onion, Ham (OR the ingredients of your choice), a pinch of Salt and Dashi Power. Gently mix to combine.
- Oil a frying pan (non-stick recommended) and cook the cabbage mixture like cooking pancakes, over a medium heat. See ‘Okonomiyaki’
- Alternatively you can bake it in the oven. See ‘Oven-baked Okonomiyaki’.
- Place the pancake on a plate. Dress with Okonomiyaki Sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise, and sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion, Katsuobushi or Aonori.