I used to use Gelatine Powder to make this jelly, but lately I prefer Agar Agar Powder. The texture of Gelatine is more suitable for some types of jellies, but Agar Agar is good for this jelly. Agar Agar Powder is so easy to use and it doesn’t have unpleasant smell like Gelatine. It is made from sea plants. So, this is a vegan version of Jasmine Tea & Lychee Jelly.
2 cups Water
4g (1 & 1/4 teaspoons) Agar Agar Powder *OR 4g Kanten Powder
*Note: You can reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon (about 3g) for softer jelly.
2 to 3 bags Jasmine Tea *OR Black Tea
4 tablespoons Sugar *add more to suit your taste
1 can (560g) Lychees in Syrup *drained, save the Syrup
- Place Water and Agar Agar Powder in a saucepan, and mix well. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Once boiling, lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add Tea Bags to the mixture, and make tea which strength depends on your preference. DO NOT leave Tea Bags for too long as the tea turns bitter.
- *Note: If you make tea first, then boil it with Agar Agar Powder, the delicate fragrance of Jasmine would be lost.
- Remove the bags, add Sugar and 1/2 cup of the saved Syrup, and stir. Allow it to cool slightly, but do not leave it for too long because this Jelly sets at room temperature.
- Place some drained Lychees in the serving glasses, and pour the jelly mixture. Add Mint if you wish to do so, and leave in the fridge until set.