Many many years ago, it was before our eldest son was born, my husband and I were planning a dinner party but we had no idea for dessert. One night we watched a TV show called ‘Better Homes and Gardens’ and a lady showed us how to cook ‘Rhubarb & Strawberry Cobbler’, which I decided to cook for the dinner party.
I took notes and the recipe has been in my recipe book for more than 20 years. I altered the recipe to suit my taste. I use less butter and less sugar as always. I have cooked this dessert many times since then. It’s one of my favourite winter desserts.
4 to 6 Servings
Rhubarb 10 to 12 *washed & chopped into 2cm pieces
Caster Sugar 1/2 cup
Strawberries 1 punnet (250 to 300g) *hulled and sliced, frozen strawberries can be used
Extra Caster Sugar 2 tablespoons
Butter to grease the baking dish
1 cup Self-Raising Flour
50g Butter *cold, chopped into small pieces
1 to 2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt *if Unsalted Butter is used
3/4 cup Butter Milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly butter a large baking dish.
- Place Rhubarb and Sugar in a large saucepan and cook over a medium to low heat, stirring until Rhubarb are just softened. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange the sliced Strawberries over the Rhubarb evenly, sprinkle extra Sugar over. If frozen strawberries are used, they need to be thawed.
- To make the topping, combine Flour, Sugar and Salt in a large bowl, rub the Butter into the Flour and make a crumbly mixture. Stir in the Butter Milk and combine, but DO NOT over-mix.
- Drop by spoonfuls on top the Rhubarb & Strawberries and cover.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Serve hot with Greek Yoghurt, lightly whipped cream or ice cream.
Leave a Reply