I am a big fan of ‘Spaghetti alla Puttanesca’. This dish is totally inspired by the famous Italian dish. I just added my favourite fish ‘Mackerel’ to it. I use all the common ingredients for the Puttanesca sauce, but they are also optional. If you don’t have Capers, you don’t need to add it.
2 servings Spaghetti
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 to 2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
Chilli Flakes OR Fresh Chilli *as required
A handful Black Olives *chopped, optional
1 to 2 teaspoonfuls Capers *chopped, optional
6 to 8 Fillets Anchovies *chopped, optional
1 can (400g) Diced Tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian Mixed Herbs
Salt & Pepper
1 can (125g) Mackerel in brine *drained
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- All vegetables should be finely or coarsely chopped.
- Cook Spaghetti in boiling slated water according to the instruction on the package.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook Onion and Garlic until soft. Add Chilli, Black Olives, Capers and Anchovies, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add Tomatoes and Herbs, cook until thickens, season with Salt & Pepper, then add drained Mackerel and combine.
- Add the cooked and drained Spaghetti and stir. Sprinkle with chopped Parsley and enjoy.