My home-made ‘Umeboshi’ is just right to add saltiness & sourness to this pasta sauce. This is another perfect pasta dish on a hot day in summer. The key ingredients might be difficult for you to find, but they are often available from Asian grocery stores. Shiso (Perilla) can be replaced with Basil, just maybe …
1 serving Spaghetti
2 Umeboshi (Pickled Ume Fruits)
5 to 6 Shiso (Perilla) leaves *thinly sliced
1 small clove Garlic *grated
1/2 to 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce *alter depending on the saltiness of ‘Umeboshi’
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Fresh Chilli *optional
- Cook Spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water as instructed.
- Remove the pip from Umeboshi and mince. Dice the Tomato into small pieces.
- Place Umeboshi, Tomato, Shiso, Garlic and Soy Sauce in a bowl and mix well. Fresh Chilli can be added to this sauce.
- When the Spaghetti are cooked, drain and pour cold water over, then drain well.
- Mix cooked Spaghetti and the Tomato & Umeboshi mixture. Sprinkle some Toasted Sesame Seeds and extra sliced Shiso on top and enjoy.