Since my discovery of Dry Soy Meat (Mince Type) at a local Asian grocery store, I have been cooking mince dishes replacing the mince with Soy Meat. The texture of Soy Meat is very similar to meat mince, and this Cottage Pie seems to be quite satisfying even for meat lovers.
100g Dry Soy Meat *Mince type
2 tablespoons Oil
1 Onion *finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 Carrot *cut into Peas & Corn size
1 Celery Sticks *finely chopped
Thyme OR Herb of your choice as required
4 Mushrooms *finely chopped
1/2 red Capsicum
1/4 cup Frozen Peas
1/4 cup Frozen Corn
*Note: I recommend to use a variety of Vegetables for richer flavour
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 & 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
Salt & Black Pepper
800g Potatoes *peeled & chopped
Salt for cooking
1/2 cup Milk of your choice
Ground Paprika *optional
- Soak Dry Soy Meat in plenty of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water, then soak in fresh water, drain and squeeze to remove excess water again. *Note: This process is to remove unpleasant smell from Soy Meat. It might be unnecessary, or you wish to repeat a few times.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or pot over medium heat. Cook Onion, Garlic, Carrot, Celery and Herb for 2-3 minutes. Add Mushrooms and Capsicum, and cook until soft.
- Add Flour and stir until combined, then add Stock, Tomato Paste and Worcestershire Sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and add Soy Meant, Peas and Corn. Season with Salt and Pepper, and cook until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, cook Potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain well. Return to the saucepan and add Margarine. Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add Milk of your choice, and stir until well combined. Taste and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Spoon the mixture into a large baking dish. Cover with the Mashed Potato and use a fork to spread over and make a pattern. Sprinkle with some Ground Paprika, but it is optional.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until mashed potato is slightly browned. Serve immediately.