I think my ‘Coffee Panna Cotta’ is pretty delicious, but it would be difficult to beat this ‘Coffee Bavarois’ which has superior flavour and texture. The ingredients of Panna Cotta and Bavarois are almost identical, but this Bavarois is made with Egg Yolks. It’s easy to make, at leat my recipe is easy.
4 to 6 Servings
2 teaspoons Gelatine Powder
2 tablespoons Water
2 Egg Yolks
5 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Milk
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules *you can add more
1 cup Thickened Cream *whipped, save some for topping
*If you add no topping, 200ml would be enough
Coffee Syrup to serve
- Sprinkle Gelatine Powder into Water in a small bowl and soak.
- Place Egg Yolks, Sugar and Vanilla in a large heatproof bowl, and whisk until thick and pale.
- Heat Milk and Instant Coffee Granules in a saucepan over medium heat and bring just to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the soaked Gelatine to the heated Milk and mix well until Gelatine dissolves.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the Egg mixture. Allow it to cool. *Note: Dip the bottom of the bowl into cold water to speed up, then place in the fridge.
- When the mixture is cool and has started thickening, whip Thickened Cream, and save some for topping. Add the whipped Cream to the mixture and gently combine.
- Pour the mixture into serving glasses or jelly moulds. Place them in the fridge and leave to set. Before serve, pipe out the saved Whipped Cream on top and pour some Coffee Syrup.