‘Zha Cai’ is Chinese pickled knobby stems of mustard plant. It is fermented just like Korean Kimchi. ‘Zha Cai’ is called ‘Zāsai ‘ in Japan and it is popular. You can make this ‘Mock Zha Cai’ with Broccoli stems. It tastes similar to ‘Zha Cai’ and it is great for drinking!
1 to 2 Broccoli Stems *about 60g
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1/4 teaspoon Rā-yu (Chilli Oil)
1/4 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
Toasted Sesame Seeds *optional
Chilli Garlic Sauce *optional
- Combine Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Rā-yu (Chilli Oil) and Rice Vinegar in a small bowl.
- Remove the tough outer parts from Broccoli stem(s), and thinly slice.
- Cook Broccoli Stem slices in the boiling water for 15 to 20 seconds, drain well, then add to the marinade. Combine well and set aside for 30 minutes or longer.
- Sprinkle with Toasted Sesame Seeds (*optional) and enjoy.
- For the photo below, I added 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Garlic Sauce.
Leave a Reply