I always stock cans of Fish such as Tuna, Mackerel and Salmon, but NOT Kippers. Kippers are unfamiliar food to me and I have never used Kippers for cooking in my life. I decided to cook something with Kippers and this is the first attempt. Well… this is identical recipe to ‘Spaghetti Puttanesca with Canned Mackerel’ and I just replaced Mackerel with Kippers. Kippers are absolutely suitable to this dish.
2 servings Spaghetti
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 to 2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
Chilli Flakes OR Fresh Chilli *as required
A handful Black Olives *chopped, optional
1 to 2 teaspoonfuls Capers *chopped, optional
6 to 8 Fillets Anchovies *chopped, optional
1 can (400g) Diced Tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian Mixed Herbs
Salt & Pepper
1 can (200g) Kippers in Brine *I had about 120g fillets
2 tablespoons chopped Parsley *save some for topping
- All vegetables should be finely or coarsely chopped. Drain canned Kippers and break into chunky pieces.
- Cook Spaghetti in boiling salted water according to the instruction on the package.
- Heat Olive Oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook Onion and Garlic until soft. Add Chilli, Black Olives, Capers and Anchovies, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add Tomatoes and Herbs, cook until thickens, season with Salt & Pepper, then add drained Kippers and Parsley, and gently combine.
- Add the cooked and drained Spaghetti and stir. Sprinkle with the saved Parsley and enjoy.