The most popular cake in Japan is probably this ‘Strawberry Shortcake’. I don’t know why it is called ‘Shortcake’ but we all think of this particular cake when speaking of ‘Shortcake’.
18 to 20cm Round Cake Tin
3 Egg Whites
3 Egg Yolks
90g (100ml) Caster Sugar
90g (150ml) Self-Raising Flour
15g Butter *melted
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
300ml Thickened Cream *whipped
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar *optional
1 punnet Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line base and side of a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk Egg Whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add Sugar gradually, whisking for a few minutes until firm peaks form. Then add Egg Yolks and whisk until well combined.
- Gradually sift flour over the egg mixture while folding in with a large spoon, then add melted Butter and Vanilla, mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until cakes springs back when gently touched.
- Turn out on a wire rack. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool completely.
- Slice the cake in half and decorate with whipped cream and strawberries.
Leave a Reply