Pollock is a fish of Cod family. Salted Pollock Roe is called ‘Tarako’ in Japanese. When Pollock Roe is salted with Chilli, it is called ‘Mentaiko’. Both are very popular in Japan, and they make a great sauce for Spaghetti. Outside Japan, we only can find frozen ‘Tarako’ OR ‘Mentaiko’. If you could find them, try this super easy but absolutely delicious Spaghetti dish.
30 to 40g ‘Tarako’ OR ‘Mentaiko’ *Salted Pollock Roe with/without Chilli
15g Butter *cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 serving Spaghetti
1/4 sheet Toasted Nori *cut into thin strips
- Cook Spaghetti according to the instruction.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from ‘Tarako’ (OR ‘Mentaiko’) OR squeeze the roe out, and place the roe in the mixing bowl.
- Add Sake (Rice Wine) and Soy Sauce, mix to combine, and add Butter. *Note: Butter will melt when hot Spaghetti is added later. This will be the sauce.
- When Spaghetti are cooked, drain, and add to the bowl. Mix well. If more saltiness is required, add a small amount of extra Soy Sauce.
- Place Toasted Nori on top and enjoy.